Saturday, January 1, 2011

Easy Steps to Save Money at the Grocery Store

One of the key words in making this system work is "planning".  For some people, I realize that is a scary word, but it should not be.  Even the most unorganized person can develop this simple method and put it to use to save money grocery shopping.

Most people "plan" things every day.  Some people's plans are not as clear as others, but it is still a plan.  However you organize your daily and weekly activities will decide how you will incorporate this plan into your schedule.  For example, when my children were growing up, Sunday evening was the best time for me to plan my upcoming week, take an inventory, and then write my menu.  That's basically what this is all about.  It is not complicated, and it's not rocket science.  But it will require that you remain consistent.

Pan Fried Chicken

The first step to improvising this plan will require "taking an inventory".  You have to have a starting point and you have to understand and know what you already have on hand.  To begin, you should know you need to have what I call the basics:  simple spices, ketchup, mustard, eggs, milk, ect.  After using this method several weeks, you will establish your family's basic inventory.  The next step is developing a weekly menu.

Depending on your family's size and age, this menu will of course be different for everyone.  But the basic "system" remains the same.  Plan your menu, utilization of foods and being consistent.

In this article, I am going to illustrate one of the many menus I used when my children were in pre school and elementary school.  Busy lifestyles need simple solutions!  My basic inventory consisted of:

chicken (my family preferred breasts), but I would suggest whole chickens, ground beef, thin sliced pork chops and cube steak.  Each week I would post the menu on the refrigerator as a reminder and it also kept me focused on my goal. 

For example: 
Monday-spaghetti   
Tuesday-Tacos    
Wednesday-Oven Baked Chicken   
Thursday-Pan Fried Pork Chops   
Friday-pizza    
Saturday-Chicken in Cream Sauce  
Sunday-Country Fried Steak. 

In looking at the above menu, you will see we are using the same meats, but not every day.  Included in my weekly menu, I would always show what was being served with the main meal.  Spaghetti, salad, and french bread.      
 
Tacos and Spanish rice           
Oven Baked Chicken, green beans and rice   
Pan Fried Pork Chops with corn and peas    
Friday-pizza

Each week  using the same meats, I would change it up so we did not cringe each time spaghetti was listed, and have hamburgers and frys or manwhich- (both of these items use hamburger buns).  The secret is establishing a "base" or inventory which you can easily shop for each week.  This will eliminate the need to rush to the grocery store without a plan and it will reduce your dollars spent on food.  If you sit down and write out a menu each week, shop and buy only the items you need for your menu, and be consistent, you will save dollars.

Easy Steps to Save Money at the Grocery Store

I am a 52 year old female and live in the Southeast Alabama area. I have not written or published professionally. Please visit my blog and I will be happy to help you put this simple plan to work. I have also created "30 Minutes or Less Busy Mom's Recipes" http://mrsgs-magnificent-mannicotti.blogspot.com/

Recommend : le creuset 9 piece cookware set cuisinart chefs classic 17 piece cookware set

No comments:

Post a Comment